Monday, March 26, 2012

La Guardia Wagner Archives Visit


When visiting the La Guardia Wagner archives, I’ve learned their collections are more elaborate and extensive. They have catalog information on former NY mayors such as LaGuardia, Wagner, Beam, Koch, and Giuliani as well as the Queens local history, which would be one of my favorites. While there, we reviewed a speech Mayor Wagner made a little after the 1964 Harlem Riots. We went in depth analyzing the speech, paragraph by paragraph finding key points on how to interpret and have a better understanding the speech. Thus using the same approach we can relate to other documents for future referencing. The Wagner archives can be informative and useful for academic use and or personal knowledgeable growth.
                While the 1964 Harlem Riots was occurring in New York City Mayor Wagner was abroad conferencing about poverty and civil rights. Little as he knew it was happening right in his back yard. Wagner rushed back as soon as possible to speculate and address the issue. Wagner was sympathetic to the issue; he voiced his understanding of what’s happening within the black community, yet was stern to the offenders. We’ve read a lot of pieces corresponding indirectly and directly to the Harlem riots, mainly from the peoples and authorities point of view, getting to see the other side such as the “commander and chief” brings some new perspective to the riots. It is actual documents and thoughts coming from that time.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shabana, my name is Davon I am a student in Professors Rogers-Cooper Eng220 Tutuoring Writing Class, as I read your blog it took me back to my youth to stories my grandmother told me about living in Harlem and dealing with the 1964 Riots that took place. Your blog was highly informative to me as a LAGCC student, I was not aware of the LaGuardia Wagner archives that is l;ocated here at this school. With that being said I would like to thank you for enlighting me to go visit the archives. I understand from your post that you reviewed a speech that was given by Mayor Wagner in 1964 after the Harlem Riots. As a reader I was concerned with what was said in that speech and what was Wagners' main concerns during this event that was taking place right in his backyard. To continue with the pervious topic how about sharing what you think Wagners' concerns was. Also consider sharing some of the peoples and authorities point of views or maybe sharing the titles of the actual doucments that came from the 1964 riots. Towards the end of your blog I wished you had shared your prespective as the assignment asked. Maybe making a connection to the Trayvon Martin case which is happening now to the 1964 Harlem Riots. So far you are on the right track, I would realy love to read the revision of your work.

    ReplyDelete